Asparagus Red Rice Pesto
contributed by Amie Valpone, The Healthy Apple
Serve this pesto alongside veggies, gluten-free crackers or atop toast. Or plop it on salads and grilled veggies.
- 1 ½ cups uncooked Alter Eco Ruby Red Rice
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 lbs. asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2/3 cup pine nuts, toasted, plus more for serving
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dairy-free or Greek plain yogurt
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 chives, finely chopped
- Cook red rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli and asparagus.
- Bring one cup water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add broccoli and asparagus in batches, cover and cook for 1 minute or until bright green and crunchy.
- Drain broccoli and asparagus in a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Repeat with remaining broccoli and asparagus. Set aside.
- To make the pesto, combine cooked broccoli, asparagus, garlic, pine nuts, sea salt, pepper and lemon juice in a food processor.
- Drizzle in olive oil and yogurt; pulse until smooth.
- Toss cooked red rice with the pesto mixture. Thin with warm water for desired consistency.
- Serve topped with additional pine nuts, diced yellow bell pepper and chives.