Delicious Everyday Cake with Fruit
Contributed by Sara Tetreault
“This is my favorite, go-to cake recipe. Why do I love it? Simple, easy ingredients that I always have on hand. After dinner as a dessert, or at a coffee-klatch in the morning with friends, it’s always a hit. My kids call it “breakfast dessert” and they love it, too. The best part is that you sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on the cake just before baking it. It makes the top a little crunchy and very tasty.” ~ Sarah
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 45 minutes. Serves 8.
- 1/4 cup Clover Stornetta or Cabot Creamery butter
- 3/4 cup Alter Eco sugar
- 1/2 cup Clover Stornetta or Cabot Creamery nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup Clover Stornetta or Cabot Creamery lowfat buttermilk
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2+ cups Woodstock frozen fruit
- 2 tsp. cinnamon and Alter Eco Sugar for topping before baking
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar in mixer.
- Add yogurt, egg, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Mix until smooth.
- In separate bowl, mix flour and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture.
- Stir gently batter into a batter.
- Stir in fruit.
- Place in greased 8 inch square cake pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bake 50 minutes, until lightly browned and firm in center
These also make wonderful muffins. Follow same directions but place in muffin pan and bake about 20 minutes.
About Sara Tetreault
Sara Tetreault is a wife, mom, home cook, chicken keeper, city dweller, and home swapper. She says she will trade just about anything – except husbands! Stunning and warm, you must check out her blog: http://gogingham.com. Thanks, Sara!